In this article we will outline through how it ispossible to obtain a visa in Norway for work.
Generally a person needs to have clients and business in Norway to obtain a visa here. Online business entirely outside of Norway would generally not meet the requirements for a visa in Norway.
The most common way to obtain a work visa in Norway for digital nomads is to apply for a visa for self employed person with a company in Norway.
Digital Nomad as a self employed person with a company in Norway
The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is where the application will have to be sent.
The requirements are (source udi.no):
- You must pay an application fee (6300 NOK, approximately 630 Euro)
Requirements relating to education/qualifications:
- a completed vocational training programme of at least three years at upper secondary school level, for example as a carpenter or health worker. There must be a corresponding vocational training programme in Norway.
- completed education or degree from a university/ university college, for example a bachelor’s degree as an engineer or nurse
- special qualifications are skills acquired through long professional experience, possibly in combination with courses and some education. You must have as high competence as someone who has completed vocational education from upper secondary school. Generally, you must have at least six years of work experience. For example, suppose you have work experience as a painter. In that case, you must present detailed work certificates from previous employers that show that you have learned and can do the same as a person with a professional education as a painter. It takes a lot to get permission in such cases. Many applications are rejected.
Requirements relating to the employment:
- You can get a residence permit if it is necessary for the establishment and further operation of the business that you live in Norway and actively participate in the operation of the business.
- The business concerned must normally be your own sole proprietorship. The business cannot be a limited company. You can only work in this business. You cannot take other work, including remote work.
- The work you will be doing in the business must require your qualifications as a skilled worker.
- It must be likely that the business will give you a profit (business income) of at least NOK 278 693 per year pre-tax.
- If the type of business you will be running requires permits from public authorities, you must hold such a permit or a confirmation from the authority that you will be granted such a permit.
Rights and obligations:
- You can be granted a permit for one year at a time.
- After three years, you can apply for a permanent residence permit.
- Your family members can apply for family immigration to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time.
Processing time digital nomad visa
Waiting time with the UDI varies but usually you will get an answer within 4 months after you delivered your documents.
How to guide
- Make sure that you have all the required documents on the UDI checklist.
- Submit the application online.
- Book an appointment to deliver your documents.
- Wait for an answer from the UDI.